OSO and chaordic commons

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 19 06:14:37 PST 2002

Jeff and others who are contributing to this conversation,
I totally agree with Harrison that in an Open Space Technology meeting, the
participants see the organization as it really is. I emphasize the use of
the medicine wheel (as initially suggested by Harrison and written about by
him) or some equivalent reflective framework at the end of Open Space
Technology meetings so that the group raises to their consciousness through
reflection what is already present---their greatness. The closing circle is
a reflective time usually regarding feelings and the senses. Adding a
reflective framework enables deeper reflection about their state of being
and doing. Once this is done, like a cosmic mirror, no one can ever again
effectively shift into deficit mentality again saying that the organization
is not capable when it has already demonstrated that it is very capable.

When Larry and I wrote the article to do with The Benefits of Risk and
Uncertainty and reflected about our use of the Medicine Wheel to provide
guidance in ongoing organizational life, it was used in organizations after
they had had at least one experience of OST.

I have since added "purpose" in the center of the wheel and that we always
begin by "who we are" (purpose).  We then go through the wheel, not just for
the meeting that was held, but to determine what is evidenced on a daily
basis. And the whole while, the people involved become more conscious of
their capability to achieve health, balance, and optimum performance.

It really does not require design work as such but requires reflection about
what is and is not present. Initially comes our KNOWING that we do not have
words for. And then, being humans in this realm, we work at more information
so that we can use our senses to understand better. Beyond that, my
experience is that the key ingredients are WILL and DESIRE. If these are
present, a shift to health and balance "happens" with the people involved
knowing what to do to get there. And I choose to stay out of the way.

I offer gratitude to you for the work you do in this world,
Birgitt Williams
Mentoring for Organizational Effectiveness
visit us at www.genuinecontact.com

"I believe that Spirit matters and people are precious. I know that
organizations incorporating these values have exciting, tangible results."
Birgitt Williams