Strange story of a recent OST event with a First Nation

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 14 17:14:07 PST 2002

At 04:32 PM 3/14/2002 -0800, Chris wrote:
>Colleagues:
>
>Last weekend I was invited back to a First Nation near Vancouver to do
>two Open Space meetings, one for the community and one specifically for
>youth.  I have done two previous engagements with this community, one in
>Open Space and one that was supposed to be in Open Space with Elders,
>but ended up not happening, because no one told the Elders that this was
>what was planned.  Strange things happen when I go there, as this story
>points out.

Actually, Chris I found your story wonderful -- but not all that strange.
It reminded me of those times (rather frequent as it turns out) when the
space is already open and the only requirement is to hold it. Add to that
the reality (I think) that we are already in Open Space, and have only to
acknowledge that fact. Seen from this perspective, the "formal" opening
that we do is less about creating space than acknowledging its presence.
Sounds to me that you were very much in that kind of space. Thanks for the
story -- Great Learning.

Harrison

>Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive