Birthing A Chaord

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 14 16:56:40 PST 2002

At 07:10 PM 3/14/2002 -0500, Sharon wrote:
>I am part of a "chaordic helpers" group for an organization going
>through the chaordic process.  I offered to "help" by facilitating some
>OS sessions but that hasn't gone anywhere yet.   I have to say that as a
>peripheral participant in this process the group seems to be getting the
>downsides of chaos and order rather than the benefits of both.  A small
>design group is doing most of the "work" leaving the bulk of the
>organization both confused by the chaordic terms and feeling excluded by
>the process.  As time goes on tempers are rising - the "in" group is
>defending the "out" group is attacking.  It will be interesting to see
>where this ends up.   I would love to hear how a group that uses OST as
>part of a chaordic design goes.
>
>Interestingly I think the key problem is that the group is focussing on
>"design" rather than what their core purpose is.  If they had just done
>some OST's to affirm the core principles of the group and set up some
>clear "givens" within which the organization would work then perhaps the
>group could really act as a "chaord" instead of just spending so much
>time planning to be a chaord.

Exactly my point -- stress, strain and guilt. I think the real point is
that organizations are Chaordic -- (read self-organizing) but are not
willing to accept that or trust that. So they act as if it were something
they had to design/become. Fruitless, I think. And for sure a little Open
Space would help -- if only to enable them to perceive what they already are.

Harrison

>Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA