Open Space -- The Credible incredible - Thank you for this rich and dynamic dialogue......

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Sat Mar 9 14:41:19 PST 2002

Dear Birgitt, dear Harrison,
my feeling and stance on this matter is to my mind, quite simple:
if the client wants an open space event and sticks to this notion
after I have talked to him, thats what will happen I either take it
or leave it....nobody knowing what will happen beyond;
if the client wants an intervention to transform his organisation and
I am crazy enough to believe that this is actually possible, so be it
.... nobody knowing what will happen beyond;
I definetely do not want to worry about what will happen to an
organisation that has chosen to let open space technology come into
its life...all I do is to make sure that the client knows that there
could be some surprises in store for him and his organisation with no
assurance that neither I nor he has an inkling of what that might
actually mean.
This is to me another way of thinking in the direction of not being
attached to outcome and not attempting to exercise control.
Right, an ost meeting is an event that is about change. Change in my
experience is a fickle thing, not planable, not influenceable (if
there  is such a word) and certainly beyond control. To what degree
there will be loss or conflict and how the organisation will handle
it is unpredictable, fact is some of that might happen or will
happen. Whether I as facilitator have influence on these developments
is unclear to me....what I suspect is that my worry about it has
primarily to do with my own anxieties...letting go of them is perhaps
one of the kinder things I can offer my clients.
One thing I know for sure is that this discussion will continue...in
the meantime I will continue to work with open space technology
humbly recognizing its potential.
Hugs and love
michael

--Original Message Text---