Alaska OS Conference and OS Workshop

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Sat Mar 9 10:07:08 PST 2002

Thanks Tova and John,

I have often wished I were closer to Jerusalem and Haiti so I could
experience what each of you do. Tova, be looking for that astro-bright
lime green invitation in the mail.  :)

This conference feels a little risky to me..... lots of people look at
me with a question in their eyes when they read the theme...... becoming
a PEACEMAKER?  In some ways, the theme feels much too big and abstract.
In other ways, it feels like the most important question of our time.
Either way, some days I feel like I'm taking a step into the abyss. :)

As we were finishing up the theme and invitation, Harrison posted his
thoughts about OS and the Practice of Peace. I started thinking about
what it means to use a Practice of Peace (as a process) to talk about
Becoming a Peacemaker (as the content of discussion). I wonder what
happens when process and content are congruent in this way, when both
are focused on two aspects of the same phenomena.  I wonder if there's
some kind of exponential learning curve that manifests when content and
process line up like this.

As I continued to think about that, I realized there is a third
congruency. So much of the conversation in this community is about
spirit, about the state of being of the OS facilitator, about inner
peace.  Curious....

Julie