Open Space -- The Credible incredible

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed Mar 6 21:46:49 PST 2002

Denis--

Thanks for the reminder that we all build on the work of pioneers and
inventors who went before us.

The first direct forerunner of an Open Space conference that I am personally
aware of was an international conference on the future convened by a friend,
Gus Jacacci, at a castle in Italy a couple of decades ago.  Many well-known
speakers and teachers were invited, and when they arrived, there was a
schedule on the wall--every day had written in Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner,
and the rest was blank.

The report is that the first couple of days were, in one participant's words,
"muddy blood."  Then it began to dawn on the potential presenters that if
they were going to have a conference, they had better get at it.  I'm told
that the week ended in a beautiful, emergent ritual.

At least, that is the story.

Joelle Everett
Shelton, WA, USA