from OS Institute (US) board

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Mon Mar 4 20:12:20 PST 2002

some more notes...

first i just want to be clear that www.openspaceworld.org is *not*
michael herman's website, though i understand how there could be some
confusion about that.  suffice it to say that michael herman speaks only
one language, and that one not so good sometimes.

also, that www.michaelherman.com *is* my site and is quite full of
stuff, openspace and otherwise.  michael pannwitz's posting reminds me
that i'm in the midst of recasting that site and will soon have a more
developed ost section, complete with stories of events i've been a part
of.  the herman and pannwitz sites are already listed at osw.org and so
any updates to either are already accessible to the osworld.  perhaps we
need to make sites like these regional portals more visible at osw.org.

re: metanet, i personally really like the pace of things there.  an
e-tub versus the oslist e-shower might be one way to explain the
difference.  i don't think they ask for much more than an email address,
but can't recall.  it was my first introduction to the os community, so
i 'm rather partial to the place.  it's a home of sorts.

finally, i'm not really looking for any help with the website, because
i'm mostly trying not to do anything about it, but let it grow on its
own.  i'm glad to work with anyone, like the translators of last year,
who wants to add something to the place.  let's just say that the
invitation is always open, but there is no recruiting office.

and as far as traffic, there really is quite a bit, i think... and there
are various inquiries that come and i usually send them to the folks i
know and/or the folks listed in the directory.  always wondered why
folks looking for work didn't list themselves in the directory.  not
sure what harrison's done with more recent printings, but osw.org is the
website listed in the user's guide i have, so it is an important entry
point for people.

michael

ralph copleman wrote:

Is there an OS website?  Michael has his site, I know.  Is it an "official"
site in some way?  With all respect to my friend Michael, I rarely visit the
site.  I just have no reason to.  How many on the OSList go there with any
regularity, I wonder?

And as long as I'm dwelling in my own e-confusion.  I've never signed onto
the Metanet discussion because I wasn't sure I needed a separate set of
discussions, plus I always get a funny feeling when I'm asked to "register"
for these sites and supply all sorts of data about myself that I can't
imagine they have any need for – so I bail.  Why can't we have all
discussions here?  Why do we need to run off to some other e-place and have
different conversations?

I'm for giving Michael all the help he wants, and I wish I were capable of
helping out, but I just ain't.

--

Michael Herman
300 West North Avenue #1105