Practice of Peace conference: Dubrovnik

Jeff Aitken ja at svn.net
Tue Mar 26 20:08:34 PST 2002

Given Harrison's forthcoming book on the Practice of Peace, note this
conference invitation. Tho I see no OST in the schedule - yet? -- Jeff

PLEASE FORWARD

The Alchemy of Peacebuilding
Integrating Spiritual Vision and Active Citizenship

  June 4 - 11, 2002
  Dubrovnik, Croatia

Sponsor: Praxis Peace Institute
Co-sponsors: The Institute of Noetic Sciences, Fetzer Institute, Desa
(Dubrovnik, Croatia) and Fractal (Belgrade, Yugoslavia)

"If you sow corn, you reap corn. If you sow beans, you reap beans. Why do we
have to go through so many trials before we realize this?" - Thich Nhat Hanh

In the past decade, we have witnessed war and bloodshed on every continent on
the earth. We have experienced terrorism, bio-terrorism, imperialism, coups,
bombings, and civil wars. The events of the twentieth century, which spawned
the United Nations, thousands of peace organizations, a myriad of spiritual
awakenings, and international meditations for peace --- also brought us the
bloodiest century of war in recorded history! What are we not seeing?

Today, more than ever, we are challenged to change the course of history. We
come together to pose the relevant questions of our time and to seek
imaginative solutions to the cycles of war and terrorism.

During the Conference, we will:
* Develop a manifesto for a "Practice of Peace"
* Define a "New Activism" that links spiritual consciousness with
responsible
citizenship
* Explore war and peace in the contexts of historical cycles, culture,
gender, race, economics, beliefs, spirituality, propaganda, and scapegoating
* Examine dominator and partnership models of social organization
* Integrate the lessons of history in a whole systems context
* Acquire tools for personal and social transformation
* Build relationships and networks across cultures
* Form international study/research groups that focus on transformative change
* Enjoy the beauty and healing environment of our spectacular location.

Conference Speakers and Topics include:

Angeles Arrien, Sam Keen, Riane Eisler, Paul Ray, Sherry Anderson, Chris
Bache, Bernard Lietaer, David Loye, Will Keepin, Filip Pavlovic, Larry
Robinson, Aqeela Sherrills, Kujtesa Bejtellahu, Hafsat Abiola, Zarko Puhovski
(others are still being invited)

* Essential Peace Practices: Tools for Transforming Conflict - Angeles Arrien
(A day-long workshop for all participants)

* The Enemy Face to Face: Recognizing the Shadow - Sam Keen
A Study in Visual Literacy: Understanding Propaganda - Sam Keen

* Partnership and Dominator Models in Systemic Terms - Riane Eisler
* Gender and Cultural Transformation - Riane Eisler and David Loye
* Gender Reconciliation Workshop - Will Keepin and Molly Dwyer

* The New Political Compass: Cultural Creatives as a Source for Social and
Political Change - Paul Ray

* Learning to Leap: Personal and Spiritual Aspects of Creating a Wisdom
Culture
- Sherry Anderson

* What if We Fail? Exploring the Deep Structure of Hate and Violence - Chris
Bache

* Money, its Role in War and Peace - Bernard Lietaer

* The " New Activism" (Panel TBA)
* Models of Political Responsibility (Keynote and Panel TBA)
* Lessons from War; Lessons from Peacebuilding (Keynote and Panel TBA)
* Youth Forum Speakers: Kujtesa Bejtellahu, Filip Pavlovic, Aqeela Sherrills,
and others.

The Youth Forum will convene 30--50 young leaders from around the world to
provide a space for the next generation of peace workers to strategize
together effective means of ending cycles of violence. The Youth Forum will
start one day before joining the main conference and continue one day after
the conference adjourns.

Conference Speakers are being added. Please check our website for updates.
A Day-by-Day schedule is also available on our website and topics will be
updated regularly. Website:

http://www.praxispeace.org

Praxis Peace Institute, which grew out of a peacebuilding conference held in
Dubrovnik, Croatia in June 2000, is dedicated to radical inquiry, deep
dialogue, creative problem solving, and informed action. A principal
objective of the Praxis Peace Institute is to define and promote the
practices of peace in personal, social, and political contexts.