My first OST conference for a commercial client

Koos de Heer koosdhr at auryn.nl
Mon Mar 25 07:33:12 PST 2002

Dear All,

So far, I have only Opened Space in a not-for-profit environment and at no
charge. It took some time for me to become sure enough of myself to offer
it to "real hard business clients" (can't help thinking about it that way
;-) and ask money for it.

Last Friday, one of my greatest wishes came true. I facilitated a one day
Open Space Technology meeting for a commercial training agency. My first
one in a business environment. The theme was "creating more business in
difficult circumstances" (free translation) and side objective was for the
agency to get to know OST as a process. They had decided that if they liked
the process, they would consider proposing it to their clients (and hiring
me as the facilitator).

It goes without saying that I was a bit nervous. It took some meditation
and a constant reminding myself to let go. Lord knows how much I wanted
them to love OST and hire me for all their clients!

Ten of their trainers showed up (about half of the total number) so with
the two owners of the agency there were twelve participants. There was a
little disappointment about the fact that among the ten who did not show up
were most of the more senior trainers. But they also saw right away that
there was a message there and accepted it.

The meeting went very well. I experienced the difficulty of being present
and invisible at the same time in a small setting - but I think I managed
pretty well. And my opening went very smoothly. I remember my nervousness
in Birgitt's training last year. Still, even at that time, space did get
opened. Birgitt's comments at the time about authenticity were very helpful.

In the days approaching last Friday, I kept reminding myself that even if I
would be nervous, Space still would get opened. And was I nervouw? To some
extent, yes. And I guess I will always be - or I should hope so. May
Opening Space never become routine! But I knew that I was as prepared as I
could be. I had read what I needed to read, done my morning meditations,
taken plenty of time to set up the room (making the two directors get up
quite early to let me in!), and even found time to take a long walk around
the surrounding park before the meeting would start. Especially that last
walk was very good. I came in only 5 or 10 minutes before it would start -
perfectly on time.

Comments from participants were about the power of simplicity, openness,
great exchanges, new ideas. One person even observed that some of the
things they were doing as trainers might be unnecessary. I did not comment
on it, but I was very happy inside.

The experience was definitely a positive one and I expect that this will
give me more opportunities to Open the Space. I thank you all for your
support and all your sharing. It is a great gift to be a part of this
community.

Koos de Heer
Auryn management advies BV
Utrecht, the Netherlands