VOSonVOS I - an Invitation from the OSI(US) Board

Gabriel Shirley gabriel at bigmindmedia.com
Sat Mar 23 22:55:05 PST 2002

Dear OS List Friends,

On behalf of the OSI(US) Board, I¹m excited to extend this invitation to
participate in VOSonVOS I ­ the first (we think) Virtual Open Space on
Virtual Open Space. We invite you to consider being part of the Design Team,
the Advisory Group and/or to be a participant in this online event. The
Design Team will work online and via conference call ‹ starting this week.

An additional invitation for general participation will go out in early
April. However, we would love to gage early interest, so please take a
moment to read the invitation below and fill out the registration form at
http://bigmindmedia.com/vosonvos/register.html if you feel called to
participate in any way. Your questions, comments and ideas are most welcome.

Thank you,

Gabriel Shirley
OSI (US) Board Member
------------------

So we're all connected, now what? How do we do meaningful Open Space online?

INVITATION TO CREATE VOSonVOS I

The Open Space Institute (US), in collaboration with BigMindMedia and OS
facilitators worldwide, intends to co-convene the first Virtual Open Space
on Virtual Open Space (VOSonVOS) this spring. We envision this online event
as an exploration of what it means to conduct Open Space online. We
recognize that this is an experimental realm, with many more questions than
answers, and we believe that the best way to learn about opening space
online is to DO IT.

To that end, we are convening a Design Team to craft the event and an
Advisory Group to assist the Design Team. It is our intention that these
groups will be geographically and culturally diverse so that the event
itself is of interest to an internationally diverse group of participants.
We invite you to be part of the design process.

Specifically, we invite you to...

- Become a member of the Design Team. This group will create the design and
handle logistics and facilitation for the event. It will involve active
participation online (approx 3hours per week for 6-12 weeks) and a few
conference calls, using Open Space principles to guide our work. We¹d like
to have about 6 members total. Members so far: Gabriel Shirley, Jay Vogt,
Nancy White

- Alternatively, become a member of the Advisory Group that will review the
design and give feedback/input from a broader perspective. The Design Team
will decide the specifics of how to engage this feedback. The commitment is
to be responsive to the Design Team when feedback is requested, and to offer
input when you feel called to do so (3-6 hours total over time). Initial
members: Peggy Holman, John Engle

- Participate in the event itself and invite your colleagues to participate.
(It's Open Space, so participate in the way that engages your passion. As a
baseline suggestion, you might think in terms of 0.5 to 1.5 hours each day
or two during the event.)

Cost to participants
The final budget and attendance goals have not yet been determined. Our aim
is broad participation, which means minimal fees. We hope this will be in
the range of US$25 to $50 per person. We will invite both additional
contributions to an Access Fund and requests for financial assistance.

Approximate Timeline
March 25 Design Team conference call and introduction to online environment
­ 1 hour
April 8 Design Team conference call 2
April 9 Distribute the invitation to participate
April 9-16 Feedback from Advisory Group
April 29 Design Team conference call 3
April 30 ­ May 7 Feedback from Advisory Group
May 8-12 Design Team final prep
May 13 Event Launch
June 19 Event Close
June 20 Design Team conference call 4 - debrief

We invite you to tell us how you would like to participate and to ask any
questions you may have at this address:
http://bigmindmedia.com/vosonvos/register.html

Thank you,

The OSI(US) Board
Leon deKing , John Engle, Ric Giardina, Peggy Holman, Dave Koehler, Clarice
Seiden, Gabriel Shirley, Janice Vincent, Jay Vogt

Gabriel Shirley - gabriel at bigmindmedia.com
BigMindMedia - http://www.bigmindmedia.com
P.O. Box 1093 - 772 Camano Ave, Suite 101
Langley, WA  98260
360.221.7701
360.838.0117 fax