Birthing A Chaord

Don Ferretti DFerrett at placer.ca.gov
Thu Mar 14 11:12:42 PST 2002

There is a group I'm working with that is in the beginning stages of designing an organizational structure that will support a networked community governance model for our local children and families commission. Dee Hock's book: Birth of the Chaordic Age has been a reference point and the subject of several learning conversations held to surface different perspectives on how organizations run. It is clear that the design conversations for this chaordic model do better in Open Space.  If you take the concepts in Harrison's recent book The Power of Spirit  and lay them down side by side with concepts in Dee's book - you can almost see how Open Space could eliminate about 3 years of planning that is suggested by the Chaordic Commons.  At least that is what we are attempting to do - and I will let you know what happens.

Don