Point of crisis... Changing the rules...

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Fri Jun 28 09:58:08 PDT 2002

In a message dated 6/28/02 6:09:08 AM, kinch at sympatico.ca writes:

<< It seems to me that a related possible winning strategy, which could be
positioned as not inimical to anyone's interest, is to change the way we keep
score: to work toward a situation where the environmental effects of our
actions are not "off balance sheet" but are in fact mandated on the books of
corporations and play a direct part in determining the bottom line - which in
turn determines behaviour (put another way, I can imagine a "novum organum"
in which debits and credits reach beyond the proverbial wall and window to
include the whole outdoors!).

Winston--

I'm a big proponent of changing the game by changing the rules--and it is
useful to change the incentives as well.

Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream does something like this, considering environmental
effects and the need for jobs in a community when finding a site for a new
facility.  And their corporate accounts have two "bottom lines"--one for
profits and one for contribution to the community.

Joelle