Point of crisis... Changing the rules...

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 28 07:10:47 PDT 2002

Hello all - friends

Thank you for all your responses - somehow they all inter-link for me. >From a tuning fork perspective, it is SO important to be the change you wish to see. And massive environmental degradation, along with corporate and civic degradation is another face of limited perspectives. Or our "now" or "here" being too small, with a narrowly focused "me and mine"; my country not all countries, my short term earnings vs longer term sustainability... Ane while the process of self-organizing  is the same, the results that show up at different levels of being/complexity are different - and capable of greater integration.

Which is where Winston's comments come in about changing the way we keep score. And there is beginning to be some very interesting work done here. e.g. how do we change GNP to reflect non-cash items such as environmental impact, quality of life, and the value of  unpaid work (e.g. parenting!!) How can accounting reflect such intangible items as knowledge and innovation? Mostly this is about making transparent anc conscious that which has been invisible and taken for granted.

One really good book here is Hernando de Soto "The Mystery of Capital" - he's a South American economist who makes a solid case that the lack of legal, individual property rights  (i.e. the rule about owning property - which could include a shanty) is a driving force behind poverty. I don't know much about this whole area of "changing the rules", and would love to learn more. It strikes me as something useful that I/we could do (in addition of course to constantly opening space in self and others for healing and transformation to show up!!) To put in Ken Wilber 4 quadrant terms, this is some lower right, collective exterior work, in addition to the all important inner and process work.

Take care all!

Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
416/486-6660