How much can the space holder participate?

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Fri Jun 28 03:09:58 PDT 2002

My practice is to leave the circle immediately after the invitation
to announce issues. I then stay outside the circle, mostly doing
nothing and being present there at the outer edge. To me, that feels
like an additional way for the group "to focus" on itself.
Occasionally, I remind someone to mention their name when entering an
issue.
When all issues are posted, I enter the circle again for a brief
period to introduce the market place and then leave the room when
people are just about to enter the market phase by saying something
like "Have a good time. See you at evening news at .. o'clock".
So I do it pretty much by the book.
Different things happen when I leave the circle after the invitation
to post issues:
-people rush in and kneel in the center writing down their issues
etc.
-people rush in, grab a sheet of paper and a pen and return to their
seats
-a pause occurs, nobody rushing in, takes about 30 seconds to about 2
minutes before someone goes to the center to write an issue, after
that either a number of others move in or people come one by one
-people enter issues after this phase is over and groups have started
to work (I change the color of the marker so that new issues of this
kind can readily be spotted when people visit the bulletin board).
I have not figured out why people act in these different modes. No
matter what, it takes about 50 seconds on the average per issue (I
have had observers record this at numerous occasions).
It seems to me that the early "withdrawal" in a calm, natural, matter
of fact way supports the unfolding of selforganisation.
Greetings from Berlin
michael

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:20:29 -0700, Elwin and Joan wrote:

>I agree "totally" with Joelle's comments.  The
>only thing I would add is my practice of
>literally leaving the "space" and going to my
>room for a nap immediately following the Opening.
> I announce that and "do it" to reinforce the
>self-organizing heart of the matter.
>
>eg
>
>Elwin Guild
>Future Development International
>Baltimore

>http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
>
>*
>*
>Visit:

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.