Thoughts on "tools" necessary for peace

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Thu Jun 20 11:03:43 PDT 2002

In a message dated 6/12/02 10:41:34 AM, kinch at sympatico.ca writes:

<< Also, when I read your post I was reminded of various related ways in
which the concept of the "safe container" (the "permeable circle" we create
for groups in OS) is used in the language of both individual and group
therapy.  Is OS "therapy"? (as opposed to simply "therapeutic")? If it is,
should it be practised by anyone? Psychologists are required to have at least
some knowledge of the terrain of the psyche, even if a major part of their
activity is listening.  Are we not then required to have some knowledge of
group dynamics and other "facilitator skills" to engage in our practice of
OS? Especially if we are to dabble in such profoundly important arenas as
world peace?

Winston--

It's taken some ruminating, but here are my thoughts.  After significant
experience with Open Space conferences, both as participant and as
facilitator, and with both individual and group therapy, I do see the
creation of a "safe container" as a common element in all those practices.
The therapists of my acquaintance not only listen, but do a fair amount of
intervention--with integrity, and on behalf of the client's goals, but
intervention nonetheless.  And while holding an Open Space conference is in
itself an intervention, within the meeting the facilitator is, in my view,
stepping back from intervening and supporting the clients in doing their own
work.

I was a facilitator long before I discovered Open Space, and much that I
learned was useful.  I also had, and continue, to do some unlearning to work
in this new way (although some of what I practice in Open Space was already
my practice).

Working with organizations around important issues is a responsibility I take
seriously, and I think education for facilitators is important.  It is harder
for me to specify just what that education should be, since people come to
this work by a number of different paths.  It's difficult to design technical
standards for work which is at least as much art as it is technical skill.  I
do believe that conversations about ethics need to be a part of our education.

To answer your point, I believe that OS is therapeutic but not therapy.  And
I try to avoid practicing therapy without a license--sometimes recommend that
a client find themselves a "professional listener" for support in difficult
periods.

Thanks for the questions that set me to ruminating.

Joelle