OST for land use planning

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Thu Jun 20 10:35:42 PDT 2002

Edward--

I can't give you a useful story here, except to say that I was brought in
mid-project to work with the community-involvement phase of a county land-use
project.  And Open Space would have been far better than the process we used
(which had been set up before I was brought in).

My experience was that committee members gradually came to understand and
care about each others' needs, but a few people were there representing much
larger adversarial groups, and the understanding did not communicate back to
the groups represented.  Far better for a much larger group to be in the room
hearing the conversations, the concerns, the nuances of voice and expression
of those affected by the proposed changes.  Open conversations would have
been more effective than the highly-structured process we used, and in small
face-to-face groups, not the one guy at the microphone that you get in
hearings.

My two cents' worth--

Joelle Everett
jleshelton at aol.com