A First Step From Rome

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Sat Jun 15 16:00:40 PDT 2002

okay, okay, i'm here.  <<<grinning broadly now in the direction of the
(unnamed) friend who's just rousted me offlist from my comfortable
lurking position of doing so much less --  that it really was *less*
...grin again>>>

been lurking here while busy in other places but, now prodded, have
re-read much of the recent conversation.  a lot to take in from my
current place of ever-so-slightly-more-than-usual uncertainty and
questionning.

feels like some important, but not painful, peeling/stripping going on
these days.  the kind of peeling away that happens because new shoots
are coming from inside... rather than the painful kind of stripping that
happens when pulling off a sticky bandage.  like a hatching, only softer.

anyway, will add another take on the tuning fork story...

this came in a bit ago from an important teacher of mine, who is teacher
to many.  she is a western artist/scientist who has studied for many
many years with some high tibetan teachers and teaches now at their request.

i think it is very much how i like, more and more, to think of my role
in open space, whether leading a short event, full-blown conference, or
training/practice workshop.  it's part of believing that anybody in the
circle could be, and may soon be, doing what i am doing out in the
middle of that circle.  for me this is a view that makes *our* work and
*my* work more sustainable.

here is what this teacher said...

>>> my father asked me yesterday morning,"How do you feel about being
guru to so many people." A moment of contraction, an inner gulp, a
resting down.  Then I said, "It depends on what you think guru is.  What
I experience is that, on a good day, I am the reminder person at the
center of a maturing community of practice.  People who have practiced
longer share support with me, mutually, rather than always taking it.  I
feel strongly that it is very good for that to happen.  I even feel it
is important."  So he says, "I guess that is the answer to my question." <<<

Michael Herman
300 West North Avenue #1105
Chicago IL 60610
312-280-7838 voice