A First Step From Rome

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 13 06:43:29 PDT 2002

Harrison, Julie and OS friends

Conflict resolution and peace making (with references to Ken Wilber); Wasn't it Einstein who said that a true problem can never be solved from the same state in which it was created? I think conflict resolution is about "translation" - finding more effective ways of being/ doing, while essentially still in the same paradigm. Peace making is about transformation - developing/ growing to a new place from whence the old conflicts dissolve. And in fact, both are our natural state. It's just that they do different things.

And the facilitator as a tuning fork / being fully present - evokes and embodies a subtle reminder of these transformative passageways. Of course passageways, like birth canals, aren't easy. Hence conflict may be magnified, at least for a time. After all, that is what is going on. I wonder if one of the greatest gifts of the facilitator is their appearance of confidence/ faith in the participants. Going through that birth canal, you may not be sure if you can make it. Having someone else provide that sense gives one the hope that their might just be something at the other end!

Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
416/486-6660
meg.salter at sympatico.ca