A First Step From Rome

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Wed Jun 12 09:44:14 PDT 2002

Dear Harrison,

You said

>>  The experience in Rome provides an opportunity for deep learning
about this thing we call Open Space, and possibly an even deeper
learning about  possible pathways to peace. Since my time 10 years ago
in South Africa, it has been clear to me that OS has enormous power for
what we might call conflict resolution, but it is a resolution that does
not eliminate conflict. If anything the conflict is magnified, but space
is provided so that the conflict, and the energy it contains, may become
a positive force. All of this takes place without any carefully crafted
process or procedure. In a most remarkable way, it seems to happen all
by itself. Which leads me to the conclusion that the apparent magic has
nothing to do with Open Space Technology, and everything to do with the
power of self-organization. All we do in Open Space is to create the
conditions under which a completely natural process can start or
re-start. If true, this is really good news, for it would mean that we
already have at our disposal the "tools" necessary for peace. We have
only to be fully what we are. Thoughts?  <<

The distinction between peacemaking and conflict resolution has been
germinating for awhile now..

It seems to me that conflict resolution is man-made, while peace is our
natural state.  (Not peace in the sense of dullness and sameness, but
peace in the sense of whatever makes the heart swell with awe and
appreciation.)

I think there's a difference between peacemaking and conflict
resolution.

I think the difference is that conflict resolution processes are
rational man-made processes designed to address man-made concerns.   I
think peacemaking goes deeper.   Peacemaking recognizes who we are.
When we do that, we don't resolve conflict, we transcend it.   And it
isn't hard.  When we recognize who we are, there is no conflict to
transcend.   Conflict ceases to exist for us.   Hence, joy.   And the
peace that passeth understanding.  (I'm curious about where Wilber fits
into this... I've only read a bit of his work, but seems like there's
something in there about trying to communicate between paradigms, and
how that doesn't work.  I'm beginning to wonder if peacemaking and
conflict resolution belong to different paradigms.)

OS/OST fits because... hmmmmm.. I keep thinking about tuning forks.
Harrison, I sometimes think of you as a tuning fork (with all due regard
and respect, of course! :) ).   My mental image is that you tune
yourself to your highest state of being, enter the circle, and hum.   As
you speak and walk the circle, you hum.  Because the hum of love, hope,
and kindness is irresistible to us, others begin to attune their hum to
yours.  Little by little, the collective hum reaches a higher state of
consciousness and harmony than it had before it was tuned with the
tuning fork (aka Harrison Owen).   And then, you let go and let the
musicians co-create the music they came to play.   The music is better
than usual because the musicians begin more closely attuned than usual.
The attunement is to our natural state, to peace.. and OST is thus a
practice of peace.

Julie