Reporting back...Open Space for a track within a Conference

Judi Richardson Richarjl at akerley.nscc.ns.ca
Mon Jun 3 09:54:14 PDT 2002

Hi Julie — wonderful to hear you are offering OST in the classroom —
such a trendsetter!!  As I mentioned to you, I experienced in the
beginning that after I had opened space a few times I chose to
abbreviate the opening and noticed a lack of participation in the way of
few topics being posted, no one wanting to leave their seats, side
conversations taking place anyway!  I was making the assumption that we
had done this a few times, so why repeat and repeat and .....

The participants recognized that there was a difference when we did not
officially open the circle — students mentioned things such as — not
recognizing the circle, not feeling motivated, same old.... same old,
they even made an assumption that I was less than interested if I didn't
open the space!  I made the commitment to do a full opening, recognizing
the circle, inner wisdom, four principles, and law of mobility — twice
a week!  practice.... practice..... <grin>

Judi

Judith Richardson
Pono Consultants International
Facilitating the Flow of Inspired Collaboration
judith at ponoconsultants.com
www.ponoconsultants.com