More on Empowerment - Moderation and Languages

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Mon Jun 3 08:49:06 PDT 2002

Artur Ferreira da Silva wrote:

> I think that one must understand the 3 levels to understand one of them, as
> there are similarities (and other relations) between them.
>
> The other point I concluded is that, in all three levels, to learn new
> attitudes is to transform the old "reality" (one of Harrison's texts,
> available in his site, is "Learning as Transformation"), and that implies
> to (previously or simultaneously) UNLEARN the old mental models or
> paradigms (or prejudices).
>
> So my current line of research is - how to facilitate unlearning of what
> one always took for granted? How to facilitate personal, organizational or
> social metanoia? How to prepare the new generations to continuously
> question and review their old "knowledge"?

In the world of homeschooling, especially in North America there is a broad
continuum m of approaches used by families.  One of these approaches, and the
kind used by our family, is "unschooling."

The essence of unschooling is that learning takes place in exactly the kinds of
ways NOT promoted by schooling, for example, children follow their passions,
subjects are integrated, not separated, mentors are sought and cross
generational or multiple age learning takes place, and so on.

As I have begun to guide the learning of my children, i have discovered that
unschooling is as much about the kid as it is about the parent.  When i was in
high school myself I did a lot of unschooling on my own, but as I am raising
children now, I am finding that the process of examining how they best learn
requires me to fully unschool my approach to learning.

So this is about unlearning how we learn, in order to realize that there are
better and more effective ways of doing things than the ways we are "taught"/

Last week I came across this article
(http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/article_page.asp?ar=1191&L2=21&L3=37), that
deals with this same phenomenon with respect to strategic planning in
organizations.  It is done the same way because people don't expect anything
else.  For me. selling the concept of unlearning has nothing to do with
process, but results.  You want a more effective strategic planning exercise?
OK.  Just like with my kids...I am not unschooling them because i want a
different process;  I am doing it because i want to raise kids that can learn
anything.

--

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation