Haiti Open Space on Open Space

john engle englejohn at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 24 13:54:07 PDT 2002

We convened at a guesthouse in a suburb of Port au Prince Haiti in the
afternoon and evening of Friday June 21. Throughout the weekend numbers of
people participating ranged from 35-55. The meeting finished today, monday
the 24th, after lunch.

It was great. A celebration of friends, new and old. Participants included
roughly 40 Haitians, a dozen United Statesians living in Haiti, two United
Statesians visiting Haiti, and a French man living in Haiti. We had a couple
of children and 15 to 20 of the participants were women (impressive numbers
for Haiti). Dozens of organizations were represented. Virtually everything
was done in Haitian Creole with the exception of informal conversations
between native english speakers when non-english speakers weren't present.
There was music (guitar and piano) and singing, many break-out sessions in
the pool, a group of 20 hiked up the mountain behind the guesthouse Sunday
morning and addressed their subject sitting under a tree overlooking the
ocean, ...the entire weekend was filled with richness.

During closing circle there were numerous folks committing to either begin
using Open Space in their work and life or to use it more often, for those
already doing it. We will plan to repeat this event--Haiti Open Space on
Open Space--next year during the end of June.

Thank you, friends on this list, for all the encouragement and support
you've provided us as my colleagues and i worked to bring this to fruition.

...People love Open Space...

Sincerely,

john engle
port au prince, haiti