Training

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Sun Jun 23 15:30:32 PDT 2002

Dear colleagues,
just returned from Denmark where I greatly enjoyed being the trainer
for 39 participants mostly from the finance sector. Co-trainer was
Henning Bendtsen, who organized the training. Assitants were Sven Ole
Schmidt and Jan Hein, both experienced and seasoned os-types. Michael
Pannwitz jr. contributed his highly developed skill as coordinator
for all the technical stuff.
Reason I am writing you is on the one hand to tell you that training
is alive and well in Denmark with prospects of a yearly Learning
Exchange being set up in the Training Center where this event took
place (similar to the German os- Learning Exchange that will meet for
its second gathering in Vlotho early in January) and on the other
hand to report on a major learning point:
Trainings (and perhaps even os-meetings) should be done by
trainers/facilitators that do not speak or understand the
mothertongue of the participants.
Not understanding any of what is going on when participants offer
their issues, exchange news etc in the morning and evening news, keep
the facilitator/trainer completely in the dark durning closing circle
etc. freed me to focus all of my attention of the main task: holding
time and space for which one apparently does not need language.
All the time I kept wondering what would happen in the session
devoted to open questions and the nuts and bolts stuff. Well, they
did it in Danish and it was clear that all the ressources to deal
with it were in the group....two questions were put to me in English,
that was it.
Well, you figure out what this will mean to our profession.
Hugs and love from Berlin
michael
Am off in a few hours to a polish-lithuanian border region, both
languages not known to me and as far as I know both their german and
english is not highly developed. This is a 12-hour, one day,
os-workshop to pick up the basics for facilitating an os-event.
Will let you know how my theory is developing.

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.