What is the soul and spirit of OST?

Alan Stewart alan.stewart at senet.com.au
Thu Jul 25 07:08:10 PDT 2002

On 24 July 2002 Doug Germann wrote:

> I will also suggest that there is one simple indicator which tells you
> and others whether such a culture is being adequately nurtured.

 OK, you got me with that one. I give up. What is the one simple indicator?

                               :-Doug.

It's an idea which I picked up some years ago from the wonderful book
'Remains of the Day' by Kazuo Ishiguru. And ever since then I have noticed
that in some places it is evident and in others seemingly absent.

It's related to lightness and laughter, and there's an element of teasing in
it.

While this applies particularly in my experience to aged care institutions,
it is likely to be a more general phenomenon.

A nice example from a family setting. A friend who is an exceptionally busy
doctor said to me recently: "I receive many emails and I am happy about
this, but I do not reply to them."

When I asked "How can someone tell if you are not happy with an email?" In a
flash her son piped up "When she does reply!"

The indicator is ....... wait for it

                                                bantering

How does this resonate with you as being at the heart of human warmth - and
of the soul and spirit of OST?

I have the intuitive notion that when bantering is integral to the daily
lives of people then wisdom is too. Any comments?

Good to converse, with love

Alan
Adelaide

.