What is the message of OST?

J. Richardson judir at accesswave.ca
Tue Jul 23 08:26:58 PDT 2002

wonderful conversation.....

Doug brings up the concept of teacher..... In OST I do not think of myself
as a teacher.  In teaching there is lecturing, waiting for the teachable
moment, putting something out there and waiting for discovery learning.
Even in teaching using OST, I would provide articles in prevailing theory in
an area, conflicting views, ask students to read them and then convene an
OST meeting.  My experience has been that providing the relevant material,
for the most part, was enough.  Yes, I answered questions or brought someone
else in to answer questions on occasion.

When I facilitate an OST meeting for an organization or community, I truly
believe that the expertise is in the room.  I work very had at avoiding the
teachable moments and imposing my perceived "expertise" on the group.  Yes,
depending on the situation, I will answer questions on process, etc.  In
some cases sponsors may choose me because I have some background in the
area.  At those times, I practice asking myself "is this serving my need or
theirs" before I get involved.  Do I have a need to display my expertise
here?  Will my sharing information outside of process "close" the space for
those gathered here?  And those kinds of questions guide my holding space.

It tests my true belief in "whoever comes is the right people".  And, as
some of you have pointed out, the facilitator is there too.  And just
walking in the room as a facilitator can cause "authority" vibes......
Every time I facilitate using OST, I am taken to the edge of my beliefs and
am holding space for myself as well.

Thanks for the great conversation all....