Opening space, transfer-in, small spaces

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Wed Jul 10 11:02:14 PDT 2002

(I wrote this before reading Laurel's post this morning (thank you,
Laurel)..... and now wondering if I'm waaaay off base (mostly with the
ideas about grading), but just want to throw this out there to help me
along with my thinking about OST in the high school classroom.  I guess
what I'm looking for is those stomach lurches any of you might have that
will help me prevent snafus..... or if any of this resonates, that would
be helpful to know, too.)

Greetings ~

I’m still thinking about how I might use OST to teach mediation to high
school students in a regular classroom setting.  Here’s what I’m
thinking today.  I'm interested in any thoughts or ideas any of you may
have.

Theme:  Peer Mediation

*** *** ***

Givens:

Class structure: OST.  4 Principles.  1 Law.  Opening each day.  Topics
can be carried over, revised, and newly created as needed.  Marketplace
contains entire timeline for the course.  Proceedings from prior class
provided at beginning of each class period.

Student’s Role: Learn what peer mediation is and practice mediation
skills.

Instructor’s Role: Support students in learning about peer mediation.

Resources: Textbook, daily proceedings, other resources as requested
(when available).

School Rules: Still apply.

*** *** ***

Grading:

For a D Grade:  Define mediation.  Identify and describe steps of
mediation process.  Describe your most important learning from this
class, what you liked most about this class, and what changes could be
made to improve this class.

For a C Grade:  Demonstrate ability to listen using the three skills of
attending, summarizing, and asking clarifying questions. Complete
self-assessment of listening skills and debrief with instructor.
Describe your thoughts about when mediation might be helpful and also
when mediation might not be helpful and explain your reasoning.
Successfully complete requirements for D Grade.

For a B Grade:  Demonstrate ability to use communication skills and work
through mediation process in a role-play situation. Complete
self-assessment of mediation role-play and debrief with instructor.
Successfully complete requirements for C Grade.

For an A Grade:  Demonstrate ability to use communication skills and
work through mediation process in a real-life situation. Complete
self-assessment of mediation and debrief with instructor.  (Permission
of instructor required.  Must first successfully complete requirements
for B Grade.)

Alternative Grading Structure: Requests for alternative methods of
grading will be considered.

Julie

>From  Wed Jul 10 14:52:47 2002
Julie-- My stomach lurches at the SYSTEM of grading, not at your use of
it. You work within a system that uses grades. Perhaps when OST becomes
common practice in high school classrooms, the current grading system
will evolve to a higher level. I applaud the good work you are doing!

BJ Peters