Openening space, transfer-in, small spaces

Judi Richardson richarjl at akerley.nscc.ns.ca
Wed Jul 3 18:31:25 PDT 2002

Hello Michael -- and thank you for your wonderful questions of
clarification.  I shall do my best to address your questions.  First, it
is
my belief that the sponsor is the one opening space -- I use Open Space
Technology as a process to support them.

Michael -- the transfer-in process that others referred to was around
other
types of facilitation.  Like you, I never use a transfer-in process in
Open
Space Technology other than opening the circle.  I do, however, use a
transfer-in process in most other types of facilitation, including
working
with the sponsor pre and post an Open Space Technology event.

The three person event was a group of facilitators exploring using Open
Space Technology in the workplace.  Once I catch up, I shall forward the
topics generated for your interest, as well as my notes.

cheers for now,
Judi

Judith Richardson
judith at ponoconsultants.com
Pono Consultants International
Facilitating the Flow of Inspired Collaboration
(902) 435-0308
www.ponoconsultants.com

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities;
in the expert's mind, there are few.  (Suzuki Roshi, 1970)

Judith L. Richardson
B.A. B.Ed. M.A. CNE
Akerley Campus
21 Woodlawn Road
Dartmouth, N.S. B2W 2R7
902 - 491-4900
902 - 491-4864
fax 902-491-4885
>>> Michael M Pannwitz <mmpanne at snafu.de> 07/02/02 10:48 AM >>>
Dear Judy,
you (and others on the list) speak of how they "open space". In my
work I always go to some length to talk to the sponsor about his role
of which one important part is that he/she "opens the space". My role
as facilitator is then to introduce the os-technology and try that
which we all call "holding space and time". Do you use this "opening
the space" casually or is it intentional?

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 23:13:18 -0300, Judi Richardson wrote:

>I am just returning to email.  Thank you for your eloquent thoughts.
In
>the past 14 days I've had the unbelievable privilege to open space 6
>times,

Another thing that I intentionally do not do (I mean stumbling into
the circle is a wonderful story)
is this "transfer-in process" that you describe as many of us doing
naturally. People sometime comment on it and I respond with my
observation, that "transfer-in" by the facilitator is a "space
invasion", just like "helping" a group getting out of a seemingly
non-creative, tired mode is shutting down their space for being
non-creative or tired. Or am I missing something here?

>I believe many of us have used
>transfer-in processes naturally for some time -- telling a joke to get
>everyone to
>laugh, having music play softly in the background and then turn it up
>for everyone to "tune in" to.  I once had a room all set up, went to
the
>bathroom, and upon my return I stumbled across the door jam into the
>room -- successfully gaining everyone's attention <grin>!

People keep asking me about the smallest open space possible. Well,
we are down to ZERO.
Still, I am interested to hear who sponsored the open space you had
with three people and what the theme was.

>Last week I opened space
>for
>three people -- something I would not have thought could be successful,
>and
>I grinned as I remembered Chris C. opening space for no one and every
>one!! It is why I hold space for others to tell their stories to each
>other.  I believe that in authentic conversation change occurs before
>the end of the
>conversation.

Greetings from Berlin
michael

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open
space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.