What is the message of OST?

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Sun Jul 21 19:48:36 PDT 2002

Hello all--

In OST there is a notion that we should stay out of the participants'
discussions. We tend to think there is a split: there is us and there is
them, and we are there only to get them going, then get out of the way.

We think that if we voice our opinions, we taint the process somehow. Where
is the genesis of this idea? Why do we take this as a given, a rule that we
must at all costs obey?

True, they will live in their community after we are gone. But are we not
both touched and changed by the moment of interchange?

This is reminiscent of the new science understanding of observer
participancy: it is found that when the scientist tests light to see if it
is a wave, she finds a wave, while if another tests light to see if it is
particles, he finds particles. What the scientist is looking for, the
scientist finds. The scientist/observer inevitably affects the results.
(What if there were two scientists conducting the experiment and one looked
for waves and the other for particles? What if there were two OST
facilitators and one looked for peace and the other war?)

I have seen Michael open space and talk about the wisdom of the people in
the room. I have never seen Harrison, but I expect that when he walks the
circle for peace in the Middle East, he speaks of peace. I can imagine
Birgitt telling her opening circle that they are precious and can
accomplish large things.

And we all struggle with what it means to "hold the space," some of us even
leave the area to nap, conveying as well we can that the participants have
the power and the wisdom and that they are in charge.

Is that not a message?

So it seems impossible to remove the observer from the experiment and the
facilitator from the group. It is maybe even futile and naive to think that
we should strive to have no influence on the group we assist.

Should we not then discuss and confront what essential message we need to
convey to each group? Should our message be part of our planning process?
What is the message of OST?

                              :-Doug. Germann
                              http://www.FootprintsintheWind.com