Opening space, transfer-in, small spaces

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Fri Jul 5 23:16:05 PDT 2002

Dear Judi,
these details intrigue me because thats where I can decide to do
things either this way or another way or another way yet....and in my
experience they do make a difference to the degree open space is
experienced as a window to the open space-organisation (my precept is
that it is the nature of all organisations).
If it is agreed that the role of the sponsor is that of opening the
space the briefing of the sponsor through the open space- facilitator
on this role is part of my work. From what I understand you see this
as part of the "transfer-in process".
I also "brief" / "coach" the sponsor on his space opening role.
Almost always the sponsors view of his role transforms during this
briefing. He appears to be much more the owner of the process.My
hunch is that this leads to a more sustained grounding of the open
space and its outcome into the ongoing life of the organisation.
You point out that you do no other transfer-in than "opening the
circle". What is "opening the circle"? Is that the same as
introducing open space-technology to the group sitting in the circle?
Is the circle "closed" before that?
Am very much looking forward to the issues generated in your
three-people open space on exploring using open space in the
workplace. One of my clients (a student body representation of a
local highschool ) is using open space as the ongoing mode in its
workplace (their regular meetings every 3 weeks). Although I have
worked in many different kinds of organisations this is the first and
only one which has adopted open space directly as their way of doing
business.
Greetings from Berlin
michael