as the madness continues

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 27 23:33:04 PST 2002

Elwin wrote:
> Harrison,

What can I say!

Space has to exist before it can be opened...even by you!

It is certainly true that trust, respect, hope (space) are in very short supply, and given the posture of the Israeli government, now supported by the Bush administration, it is predictable that the noose will grow tighter and the desperation (on both sides) greater. Despite all of that, good people on both sides continue to reach across the void. I attended a gathering several nights ago of Israelis and Palstinians that was so profound I spent most of the time in tears. By the way, ABC "Nightline" videotaped it, and it should run sometime this week. And this afternoon and tomorrow will be an Open Space for Israelis gathered to collect their thoughts on exactly what they should be telling their government, which believe me will NOT be MOre of the Same. Also, several days ago, 50 Israeli officers announced their intention NOT to serve in the occupied territories. For sure it ain't over yet, and perhaps it will have to get worse before it can get better, but there is an amazing,!
 dedicated, tough crew here who know that peace is the only way, and that reaching that peace will require the space in which trust, respect and hope can grow. So we do what we can.

Harrison