A User's NON-Guide (cover image is 100% virus free)

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 23 13:32:57 PST 2002

Dear Michael and Chris,
I have thoroughly enjoyed your book and I thank you for following your
passion to pull it all together. With this e-mail, I provide permission to
you to use anything that I put onto the list in any way that is life
nurturing.

I have a suggestion for a change in the introduction. I also offer to you
the possibility of including in the introduction a contribution by Martin
Leith of The Innovation Agency in London, England. I admire Martin’s work on
three worldviews and it is well worth acquainting yourselves with and can be
found at www.theinnovationagency.com <http://www.theinnovationagency.com/>

First—my suggestion regarding an editiorial change for clarity in the last
paragraph of the introduction that currently reads “Like Open Space itself,
this material is offered free of charge, for your use and creativity with
one simple request
”. “Open Space” itself was created by Prime Creator. If
you are referring to Open Space here, I would suggest that you note that so
that it is not confused with Open Space Technology, developed by Harrison
Owen. If you are in fact referring to Open Space Technology, it is not free.
People pay for any of the books to learn it, they pay to attend training
courses, and they pay to hire a facilitator to facilitate an Open Space
Technology meeting. It is true that we don’t have to pay a franchise fee or
equivalent to be allowed to use the methodology.

As well, I am assuming that it is the Open Space Institute of the USA that
has copyrighted this book, rather than any of the other institutes. I think
that should be made clear. It is not the only Open Space Institute.

And now for Martin’s three worldviews:
Three Worldviews model:

Worldview 1, the world is a machine
Worldview 2, the world is an ecosystem (self-organizing systems fit here)
Worldview 3, the world is energy and consciousness (language becomes a
limitation here). Worldview 3 includes things that science cannot yet
explain, and things that it will never be able to explain.

Finally there's 'Beyond Worldviews' ... beyond concepts ... the realm where
all is one and nothing ... everything is, and isn't.

As I noted earlier, I admire Martin’s work and find his worldview model an
asset to understand different conversations regarding work with
organizations. If you follow his worldview model as you read this book you
have created, you might  find a teasing of your own worldview throughout.

Blessings to you both,
Birgitt