First OS in Sofala Province, Mozambique

Dr. Susanne Weber webers at mailer.uni-marburg.de
Thu Jan 10 00:41:57 PST 2002

Datum:          Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:28:11 EST
Antwort an:             OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
Von:                    Joelle Lyons Everett <JLEShelton at aol.com>
Betreff:                Re: First OS in Sofala Province, Mozambique
An:                     OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU

Dear friends of the open spaces,
interesting topic, the nexus between culture and large group
interventions. What I find very enriching is the the work of Geert
Hostede about intercultural cooperation and management. He
comes up with several dimensions at the macro level of societies /
cultures: the dimensions are:

 individualist vs. collecticist orientation
 materialist vs. quality of life orientation
 uncertainty avoidance (f.ex. through securance systems ...)
 power distance - vs. the acceptance of personal power

(and for sure there is more - f.ex. the concept of time, of space etc.)

these dimensions were worked out as one of the results of a
complex empirical analysis - one of the classics, but still useful to
understand cultural dynamics better, I think. So I´m really very
much interested in the topic of culture effects or dynamics in the
work with large group interventions. In OSONOS Berlin two years
ago Harrison told us, that Culture didn´t matter and that Open
Space worked everywhere. I´m very keen to learn more about that.
Best wishes Susanne

> Thanks for the conversation, Bernd, John, Jeff, Artur.  Lots of complex and
> subtle issues here.
>
> John, I don't think that being too unattached to outcomes is a problem for
> most of us, just the reverse.  I see a lot of strength in your willingness to
> wait for the group to take charge of its own meeting, affirming that the
> people in the room are fully competent to do just that.
>
> And I have been in groups with a major Dead Moose--some willing to talk about
> it, some too fearful.  Sometimes my own un-anxious presence will encourage
> someone to begin the conversation.  Sometimes not.  I appreciated the
> suggestions of possible ways to open the conversation without violating the
> spirit of Open Space.
>
> I have had clients take me aside and ask me to be more directive, which I
> usually decline to do, in the belief that something important is going on.  I
> have asked the boss to sit down and give someone else a chance to speak.  I
> don't think there are any easy answers, but I truly believe that the people
> in the room have more power than they usually know, and I truly try to work
> myself out of a job as quickly as possible.  Once I was fired--that was a
> little quicker than I planned.
>
> I do see differences in working with groups in other cultures with people who
> have no history of being allowed to make their own decisions.  I see this
> list as a major forum for us to share experiences and learn to be more
> sensitive to the different histories of different places.  Thanks to Bernd
> for opening your experience to us!
>
> Joelle Everett

> Visit:

Dr. Susanne Weber