Education quote

Alan Klein Alan at Klein.Net
Mon Jan 28 14:36:10 PST 2002

Harkening back to our discussions on education recently, I ran across this
excerpt from "Is Sudbury Valley a School?" from Reflections on the Sudbury
School Concept By Daniel Greenberg and available as the full article at
http://www.sudval.org/texts/reflect.html#isaschool

"The raw material is perfect. Our major task as adults is to get out of the
way, to provide an environment where we don't interfere, where we minimize
to every extent possible the barriers that prevent children from doing what
they want to do naturally. To the extent that we succeed, they'll be alert,
they'll explore, they'll be active, they'll be healthy. They'll be solving
problems all day, problems that they set for themselves and attack with a
passion. Leave children alone and what's the first thing you notice? Their
intensity. Their involvement. Their focus."

Sounds like Open Space to me!

~Alan Klein