Kenoli's reply

ward wardwill at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 24 13:22:04 PST 2002

Kenoli wrote:
"In the old (adversarial) world, value comes from limitation, control
and ownership.  In the Open Space world, value comes from
collaboration, sharing and open process."

Kenoli

Your comments in your reply indicate your perspective to "the old world" and
I respect your right to enjoy that perspective. I do disagree with it and
choose to not remain silent.... as my silence could be considered as an
agreement with your perspective. It appears that you make an assumption that
the entire "old world" is adversarial. I suggest that not everyone shares
your perspective on that or agrees with your statement. It might also be
true that there has also been much good and much giving and sharing from the
"old world". The "old world" that I come from includes honor, trust, sharing
and giving without regard to control and ownership. In "my old world" and in
"my new world" there is also the concept of common courtesy, in which a
person would ask before using something belonging to others.

There is a different perspective that understands that value comes from
demand, availability and benefits given...  which includes much more than
control, limitation and ownership.

Is the "Open Space world" to which you refer the world of Open Space
Technology or is it the larger "Open Space World " created by Spirit? To me
there is a major difference and this difference would impact the validity of
your statement. Spirit didn't just suddenly show up. Spirit created this
"world of open spaces" and has been guiding mankind for a very long time.

I offer my comments in an open and sharing process.
Ward