Sustainability and Business - call for book contributions

Jeff Aitken ja at svn.net
Fri Jan 11 12:51:43 PST 2002

forwarded -- Jeff

 A Call for Contributions on the topic of TEACHING SUSTAINABILITY (to
business leaders)

  Greenleaf Publishing invites contributions for a new book, Teaching
Sustainability, to be edited by Dr. Chris Galea. Dr. Galea is a professor
at the Gerald Schwartz School of Business and Information Systems, St.
Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

 Background
 For many years business enterprise has been portrayed as being responsible
for much of the social inequity and environmental degradation found around
the world. While such an outlook continues to provide food for heated
debate, a newer emerging perspective is that of business being a key
positive force to operationalise sustainability in our world. This
perspective sees business as the dominant organising force with access to a
unique combination of factors: capital; global reach; flexibility;
dynamism; and self-interest to make economic, social and environmental
sustainability a reality. This approach argues that within the current high
levels of unsustainable activity lie tremendous untapped opportunities
waiting to be unlocked. Companies that embrace innovative approaches to
releasing this value stand not only to profit greatly but also to become
pillars of true sustainable development.
 As may be imagined, such an approach is not central to most standard
business school curriculums and does not form part of most managers'
thinking. In light of this, Greenleaf Publishing is inviting leading
practitioners and researchers in the field to contribute new perspectives
to this vital topic. We aim to publish the most up-to-date collection of
material for those who are actively involved in teaching business and
sustainability to both current and emerging business leaders.

 Scope of the Text
 While the scope of the book will evolve as authors submit their material
we currently envision four key sections to the publication. Though all
related material will be considered we invite contributions that address
the following specific areas:
 Part 1.    Teaching Sustainability: The Case for Business as the Driving
Force for Global Sustainability
 For this section we seek both theoretical and empirical evidence outlining
why business has both the tools and incentives to implement and profit from
sustainability. What are the implications for teaching sustainability from
this perspective? How does it complement/conflict with other more
conventional approaches?
 Part 2:    Current State of Sustainability Education in Business Schools.
 For this section we seek to give our readers an understanding of current
best teaching practice in leading business schools around the world. What
innovative approaches have been tried? What has worked or, just as
importantly, failed? What structural challenges have been faced? What is
the best approach to making sustainability an integral part of business
school curriculums? What are the unique challenges faced in teaching
sustainability to various groups: undergraduate business students, MBAs,
EMBAs, middle managers etc.?
 Part 3:    Tools, Approaches and Methods for Teaching Sustainability.
 For this section we would like to assemble an Educators Sustainability
Toolkit that illustrates the various teaching approaches possible. We
welcome actual tools such as case studies, experiential simulations,
role-play exercise etc. In addition, we seek work that outlines various
current sources for teaching sustainability that instructors could access.
 Part 4:     The Future of Business Education for Sustainability
 In this last section we seek pieces that push the thinking on teaching
sustainability to new heights. What is the future of Business Education for
Sustainability? What are the forces that are molding the new approaches?
What can/should be done to push the envelope in this crucial area?

 Projected audience
 The book is aimed primarily at all business educators of sustainability.
In addition it should be useful to practitioners interested in learning
about business and sustainability and as such should also be of interest to
managers, students, researchers, government, NGO representatives and
consultants involved in the field.
 Contributions
 Given the intended practical nature of this publication, we encourage
contributions from practitioners in businesses, NGOs and governments, as
well as academics. Theoretical papers should be between 4,000 and 6,000
words and case studies between 2,000 and 4,000 words in length. The paper
submissions should follow editorial guidelines, which can be obtained from
Greenleaf Publishing at the address at the bottom of this page.

 Schedule
 Authors are invited to propose topics and ideas (in the form of an
abstract or outline) to the Editor via e-mail at cgalea @stfx.ca. The
deadline to do so is by March 15th, 2002. A selection process will then be
put into motion. Contributors whose proposed papers are felt appropriate
for the project will then either be informed of the acceptance of their
proposals and asked to contribute full papers or be invited to revise
proposals. Invited full papers should then be sent as e-mail attachments to
the editor for the review process (see 'Contact Details' at the end of this
page) by September 30th, 2002. Contributors whose final papers are felt
appropriate for the project will then be either informed of the acceptance
of their contributions or be invited to revise their papers by December
20th, 2002. The expected publication date of the book is September 2003.

 Contact details
 For further information, to discuss ideas for contributions and to submit
manuscripts please contact the Editor:

 Dr. Chris Galea
 Gerald Schwartz School of Business and Information Systems
 St. Francis Xavier University,
 Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.
 Tel: (902) 867-3932
 Fax: (902) 867-5385
 e-mail: cgalea at stfx.ca

 Contribution Guidelines can be obtained from:

 Samantha Self
 Greenleaf Publishing
 Aizlewood Business Centre
 Aizlewood's Mill