Learning organizations, impacts and longevity

WB-TrainConsult wb-trainconsult at gmx.net
Tue Feb 5 23:29:42 PST 2002

Kenoli & Lin,
thanks for your words. I read them with great comfort.
Bernhard

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:16:39 -0800, kenoli Oleari wrote:
>Lin -- I'm hoping for some more thoughts from the list, also.  This
>issue affects us on a difficult level, because most of the
consulting
>work that is available comes from a perspective that only takes into
>account the immediate internal needs of a client.  This affects the
>way we make money.  It is the unusual client that moves to a higher
>level in its thinking.  Some of our icons like Meg Wheatley have
>decided to stop practicing for this reason, but they are at a point
>in their career when they can either afford this or attract plenty
of
>other kind of work.  I'm noticing how many of my colleagues accept
>whatever work is available and get good at it and then periodically
>melt down feeling like what they are doing is not feeding them.
 Some
>even get confused and surprised and not sure what to do when a
client
>comes along that is willing to take a broader perspective.
>
>As world citizens, it is an issue for us about how we are going to
>carry the dialog about the future of the planet forward in our work.
>After all, where else does this work get done than in our everyday
>lives.  And yet as hired consultants, the system seems to place the
>decision about how this conversation is focused in the hands of the
>people hiring us, people who have a very rarified interest and who
>are financially driven to look at the situation with a different
>priority than that of the global system.  This is especially
>important for those working predominantly in a business setting as
>business is having a greater and greater influence on the future of
>everyone and everything.  It is not as though business goes on in
one
>place and then the work that affects our futures goes on somewhere
>else.  This is it.
>
>Kenoli
>

>>Hi Kenoli:  you have given me so much to think about.  I don't have
>>the time
>>today to really think through your comments or to add anything -
>>however I
>>thought it important to post with you that the issue of putting
>>walls around
>>the ' whole ystem' of a company (a contradiction in terms) so that
>>it can
>>exclude issues like environmental degradation and exploitation of
>>local
>>populations has sat brewing with me for some time and I've pushed
>>it to one
>>side.  So now its out !   I'll get back on line in a couple of days
>>- in the
>>meantime, I'm looking forward to hearing from our OS colleagues.
>>
>>Lin Grist
>>Chrysalis Consulting
>>UK
>>
>>*
>>*
>>Visit:
>>
>>http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html
>

>--
>Kenoli Oleari, Horizons of Change, http://www.horizonsofchange.com
>1801 Fairview Street, Berkeley, CA  94703   Voice Phone: 510-601-
>8217,
>Fax: 510-595-8369, Email: kenoli at igc.org (or click on:
>mailto://kenoli@igc.org)
>
>*
>*
>Visit:

-----
wb-trainconsult at gmx.net 06.02.2002 at 09:28:48 (GMT/UT + 02:00)
My anti-virus precautions:
1) attached to this e-mail : No file
2) All attached files are mentioned by name in the line above.Please
do not open any other attachment!
3) Please send text documents in RichTextFormat/*.rtf, if possible

----
Bernd Weber
Organization Development Consultant

"DEVELOP YOUR CAPACITIES - MATERIALIZE YOUR VISION"

C.P. 1462, Beira, Sofala, MOZAMBIQUE
fone: +258-3-32 98 59, cellfone:+258-82-43 79 77

-----
WB-TrainConsult
management- & human resources
training, consulting & development
-----
Gumpendorfer Straße 88b/18, AT-1060 Wien, AUSTRIA
fone & fax: +431 596 86 57
-----
Inscricao no grupo de discussao "Sistemas organizacionais":
Escrever um email para o endereco <sis-org-subscribe at eGroups.com>