Report on a very sui generis OS

Gilbert Brenson-Lazan gbl at amauta.org
Tue Feb 5 07:15:03 PST 2002

Good morning, all:

First and foremost I want to thank all of you who sent me your ideas on the
challenge that I shared with you a few weeks ago regarding the use of OS as
part of a major cultural transformation at a Central American Ag
University.  I received dozens of letters, both on the list and off-list
(although I can´t imagine why so many people chose to share their wisdom
off-list).  Some of the suggestions were excellent but impractical due to
the poverty level in Honduras and the unavailability of many items.  Others
were very important and useful.

I compiled (and translated) them and sent them to the organizers at the
University and together we finalized the strategies on-line.

My colleague-wife and I travelled to Honduras a couple of weeks ago to do
the program.  Right from the start there were several major challenges,
mainly with the previously agreed-upon and now undoable logistics, so we
had to modify (considerably) the original plan to accomodate not only the
logistic questions but also some last minute cold feet from some of the
fossilized members of the administration and the alumni association that
were all for change on paper but in flesh and blood it was too threatening.

The first day we spent mainly talking with students and faculty and getting
to know the 7000 acres of campus, crops, pastures, animals, woods, jungle,
etc.  That evening we did just the first part of the OS: 200+ of the 800
students, and almost no faculty members, responded to the initial call.  It
was impossible to put them in a circle outside in the center knoll between
the principal buildings (thanks, Harrison, for that great idea) as we had
planned (no lights and no PA system were working) so we put them in the
auditorium.  After a brief intro about the "rules" and "roles" of OS we
gave out 10cm X 20cm cards to everyone with the invitation to mill around
and get together in groups to decide topics and "convene" the work
teams.  The only restriction was that every card had to begin with "How can
we...".  We received over 500 cards!!!

The next day we met with the volunteer internal facilitators (dorm
supervisors, counselors, staff and faculty) and we briefed them on OS and
their role monitoring the "second part".  Together we used stickywalls to
affinity-sort the cards and summarize them.  Amazingly, especially for
adolescents, almost all the cards were able to be summarized in 24
groups.  We insisted that all 500 be published immediately on the
University Intranet, which amazed everybody with the transparency of the
process and the good intentions of the majority of the University leadership.

On the third day all classes and work were suspended at the Univ. and we
did the "rest" of the OS.  We prepared 30 workspaces in classrooms and
sheltered outdoor spaces (24 subjects and 4 extras for spontaneous
subjects, which very commonly arise in Latin American OS).    At first, the
students just milled around in disbelief;  in its 80 years, the University
had never given unstructured time to it´s students during a school
day.  Finally a few first year students began to sit down and  talk in
several of the meeting spaces.  The facilitator served as "convener" until
a student or teacher agreed to take that role over.   Then, little by
little, all the meeting rooms and overflow rooms were filled by students
from all four years, faculty and even staff that had also been
invited.  There was a core of 10-15 students in almost all of the groups
and a VERY large number of roving bands (3-5) of bumblebees (we call them
hummingbirds) that went from group to group and participated in many.  By
midday things wound down (as we suspected) and a total of over 500 people
had participated. In each group the facilitator and the student or faculty
"convener" then went and posted their results to the Univ. Intranet.

In the afternoon, the sessions were moved to the six dormitory blocks (a
kind of mini OS around dormitory-relevant topics chosen from the original
list of 24).  Small groups began to organize around the topics and at the
close of the afternoon those results were also posted on the Intranet but
also a strategic plan was begun for each dormitory and actions and
responsibilities were agreed upon.  A central consolidating committee was
also self-selected that included students from all four years and six
dormitories, faculty and staff, and they will consolidate all of the
information from the OS on the Intranet, into a series of proposals to
bring to the University.  The President of the University publicly thanked
all the participants and agreed to consider and respond to each one with
the same responsibility with which they were developed.   Other followups
are being planned also.

We left the school the next day with tearfull goodbyes (both from the
students and from us). In the days that followed the event we have received
many emails that have related how things are changing already.  I think the
most moving one was from the president of the Alumni Association (who also
participated and who´s psychorigidity was very prominant at the beginning)
and said, in the close of his letter:  "I can now say the the words ´How
can we....´  have become the symbol of the future of this University".

It was the strangest OS we have ever done and not very "kosher"...but it
worked.  If there was one lesson we learned, it was:  "Dare to try
something different".

Warm regards,

Gil

     AMAUTA INTERNATIONAL, LLC