A Question about self-organizing systems and world peace

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 5 04:07:54 PST 2002

Dear friends and colleagues on this list,
I sit this morning and offer gratitude to all of you who participated in the
discussion of the questions I asked regarding Open Space, world peace, self
organizing systems, and if it is self organizing-why do we have OST
facilitators. Thank you.

I sit and look out of our window in the pre-dawn at the circle of stones
that 19 of us created on September 21st of 2002, joined by the energy of
several hundred people who were not here in person. We each believe that by
putting our energy, intentions, prayers to create opportunity for harmony in
the world, that we influence the future of humanity in a way that is life
nurturing rather than life depleting. We "opened" the space and we continue
to hold it. I think belief is a critical ingredient.

For me, we are alchemists, working with energy. Space is not empty, not a
void. Space is very full of energy, of Spirit. We as humans have the gift of
this energy. We can choose to learn to focus it, much as Bernhard said
regarding acupuncture.  I am aware of focusing it when I give a Reiki
treatment. I am aware of focusing it when I facilitate an Open Space
Technology meeting. I see the energy. My job, as I interpret it, is to learn
about my own energy, to ensure I have no energy leakages to matters that are
life depleting (such as worry), to learn to work with my personal energy.
And then to do the same within my environment-with the individual who comes
for Reiki, with the organization who comes for OST. With focusing of this
wonderful wonderful loving healing energy that is all around and in us,
humans can affect change including world peace. I think energy management is
a critical ingredient.

The individual seeking healing through Reiki must have the will to be
healthy and balanced. The mind/emotion mix is very powerful in creating
reality. Humanity seeking peace must have the will to be healthy and
balanced. Will is a critical ingredient.

A key job for us as alchemists seems to be to invoke WILL, to learn to
manage energy in life nurturing ways beginning with self, and to BELIEVE
that all things are possible, including health, balance and peace. And to do
so with no attachment to outcome. Open Space Technology assists us to do all
of this with groups of people. Given enough Open Space Technology, I believe
we have peace within our reach, if this is what we truly WILL.
Blessings to you all in this important work you do in the world.

Birgitt WILL I AM S