For those, who can afford themselves to think on Christmass

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Thu Dec 26 09:20:18 PST 2002

Dear Elena,

Greetings from Alaska on this day-after-Christmas.  We might finally
have enough snow for my son to ski and my friends to mush their dogs
across the frozen tundra.  It has been an unusually warm winter in
Fairbanks with very little snow.

Your questions remind me of the questions I was asking when I first
encountered OST.   At that time, I was still spending some of my time in
the role of mediator.  In that role, it is proper to ask questions.   It
isn’t proper to lean or push toward particular answers, but it IS proper
to ask the questions that beg to be asked.  Through the questions she
asks, the mediator weaves her wisdom and intelligence with the wisdom
and intelligence of the group.  It is a speaking wisdom rather than a
silent wisdom.

Some on this list have indicated that they sometimes participate in
group discussions.  I have also made that choice.  For me, making that
choice is all about listening to my inner voice, and following wherever
it leads.

Our task is not to abide by some external set of rules, but to follow
the internal laws of our heart.  OST is wonderful and powerful because
it so closely matches who we innately are, but there cannot be a single
rigid either-or rule about speaking and silence.  Sometimes one is
called for, and sometimes the other.  Only our internal knowing can tell
us what is needed in the moment we’re in.

Much love,

Julie