Answer to Carla: OST "presentation"

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 18 12:58:04 PST 2002

At 07:56 AM 12/18/2002 -0800, Lisa Heft. wrote:

>(By the way, and thanks to inspiration from the most amazing BJ Peters,
>I no longer use a time/space matrix on a big piece of paper with
>Post-Its on it, but instead I make the whole agenda wall a grid so
>people can place their topic signs directly onto the wall in the
>time/space zone, eliminating a step to go pick something up on the
>left-hand side and bring it over to post on the wall).

Everybody is always trying to neaten up the wall. Yes, I know it is a mess
-- but out of messes come wonderful things. Just like swamps. People try
and drain them, but when you do, the liveliness of life is cut off at the
source. As for making an extra trip to pick up a post-it, just put that
right in the middle of the wall and they can't hardly help but fall over
it. Add to all of this -- i really like a TOTALLY BLANK WALL. Says, as
nothing else can, -- we're starting from Zero. No clues, no boxes -- you
have to create your own world. And no matter what -- it will come out fine.
On a practical level, some sort of grid on the wall works well with smaller
groups. But (in my experience) when you pass several hundred folks "sizing"
the grid becomes impossible. Too much here, not enough there, cause it is
all the same. So anyhow, I really like NOTHING, particularly when it ends
up being a mess. Now Mother Lisa -- please don't mention cleaning up my room!

ho

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA