Giving and receiving

Mick Walsh southbank_mgt at bigpond.com
Mon Dec 2 02:20:06 PST 2002

Hi,

Peggy Holman stimulated an interesting discussion at OSonOSinOZ on this
topic (thank you Peggy)  and I will share with you my experience.

* I offer quite an amount of pro bono work, but only to non-profit
organisations.

* I offer a free mentoring program for university graduates embarking on
their careers and life journeys.  This service is totally free and mentees
access me by referral or word of mouth.

* The program is based on OS principles.

* There are only two givens:

o That mentees should be 'fair dinkum' (OZ talk for serious, true, authentic
etc) about their careers and life journeys, and
o That they should do something similar for someone else in their  lifetime.

The givens are important for me, and hopefully to this discussion, for a
number of reasons:
1. I receive nothing explicitly from the mentee, but inherently I gain
heaps.  If I was to charge a fee then I think it would 'corrupt' our
engagement and reduce it to a transaction.
2. I have no control over the honouring of the givens by the mentees - they
must make their own decisions.
3. The time honoured concept of unconditional giving is perpetuated by
others, and others, and others......

I have ample evidence that mentees do in fact honour the givens.  One mentee
has established a mentoring program in her workplace - a major Australian
public service organisation.  So, the simple act of giving at no cost to me
(in fact, emotional/spiritual profit) is profiting others.

Giving and receiving are two sides of the same coin, and that coin is
extremely  valuable to both parties.  Giving and receiving is not a linear
transaction but a circular transformation for all concerned.  I would even
suggest that giving and receiving is chaos in action.

So, in finishing I would say that the art of giving has to be
contextualised - if it is right for you, your circumstances, your family,
your business etc then do it.  But do it unconditionally because then there
is no way that you can possibly be disappointed if people dishonour the
givens - whatever happens....?  The danger is that if one is disappointed by
the non-reciprocated expectation of  receiving then one might just possibly
stop giving.  What a disaster that would be.

Kind regards,

Mick Walsh