Giving and receiving

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Sun Dec 1 18:08:43 PST 2002

Hi Doug,

It's easier to work from one paradigm at a time.

If the fees are important to you, then I think you should be very clear
about that, ask whatever questions seem appropriate, and let the outcome
be whatever it is.

If the fees aren't important to you, then be clear about that, ask
whatever questions seem appropriate, and let the outcome be whatever it
is.

In talking about the choices I'm making, I didn't mean to infer that my
way makes sense for anyone else.  We're all on our own journey.

Did things start breaking down after you suggested bringing in
additional co-sponsors to help cover your fees?  Seems to me that there
are many ways in which that part of what happened might be contributing
to some of the concerns being expressed now.

Julie

Douglas
> D. Germann, Sr.
> Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 4:02 PM
> To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
> Subject: Giving and receiving
>
> Joelle, Julie, and everyone--
>
> You have raised some good questions for me to ponder, Joelle. Thank
you.

> Specifically, I have a series of 3 OSTs of 3 hours each which I am
putting
> together with a local senior independent living apartment complex. The
OST
> is about healthcare for seniors. (I have posted here about this group
> before.)
>
> When we first met, they were very enthusiastic about the project. We
have
> met 4 or 5 times for over 2 hours each time, planning this event.
>
> Originally, they asked me for a fee. I quoted X. They came back at the
> next
> meeting and said they had only 0.4 X. I said OK, we could work with
that,
> and then I showed them how they could raise the additional amount by
> seeking co-sponsors. They have approached a half dozen potential
sponsors,
> and I have helped them with by approaching other potential sponsors.
>
> Last time we met, they said they are incurring expenses and staff time
> they
> had not foreseen, and so they are not willing to pay any fee; Instead
> should be compensated by the contributions of the co-sponsors only.
They
> would of course "help" me contact those people.
>
> Now I agree with you and Julie and am willing to do the work for no
fee
> because it is important work. And I agree with the client that we will
> likely get sponsors at some level.
>
> Yet am I right in reading into their statements that they have
surfaced
> some fear?
>
> (I also do not want to end up being the prime mover behind these
OSTs.)