Reviving a Facilitator's Passion

Martin Giannini mlg2010 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 13:02:46 PST 2002

Dear 'Spacers':

I facilitated two weeks ago for an Irish (community - government
Partnership) organisation trying to discover from community members what
their adult education needs are.  The attendance was good but no one wanted
to post for the afternoon.  After lunch, half of the folks left and the
rest just wanted to re-hash what had happened in the groups during the
morning.  So they did.  I felt that what ensued was a lot of
bickering.  And I could not help to feel that as facilitator, I was being
expected to "produce" a lot more, to get people " on task"... you know...
that whole dilemma.  Nonetheless, the closing circle was filled with praise
for the process.  And yet I was disappointed and disenchanted.

So i ask....   How do I get over this and on to the next one with more of
my own passion intact?  And how do I respond to the sponsor who has indeed
come back with reservations about the whole thing since she really could
not produce much of a "result" out of her findings?

Argh!  Thanks for listening!  Happy Joyous Holidays!!!

Marty Giannini in Ravensdale, Co. Louth, Ireland