"professional" signs question from Ed Ball

Elena A. Marchuk marco at mail.nsk.ru
Sat Aug 31 18:59:32 PDT 2002

Hi Ed,

sorry for being late with my two penses, but I do want to add some thoughts
to many nice already said.

We do use hand-drawn signs both in Future Search Conference and in OST
meetings as we discovered long ago in our training sessions that
nice-printed black&white computer sings are not 'visible' to participants,
they are not 'typed' in the mind as if they are not existing

Also the hand-drawn flip charts give the participant the feeling, that they
can do them themselves. If not much on OST meeting (with ready forms of
reports), but still we often use big flipcharts and give participants to
have a chance to learn how to speak and others to share the ideas if there
is time and nessassity, on FSCs we use a lot reports of the group on flip
charts, so when the participants  see our hand-made material, they are not
scared to draw their own ideas on the paper. Of course you have much more
longer history of using flipcharts in many countries, then we do in Russia,
but we still have some participants who says: why do we need to 'spoil' so
many paper. Even with ready forms, not saying about big flipcharts. People
are not ready here to write down their ideas, and when we give them this
example, it helps them to express themselves more constructively.

We had once a computer designed 'flipcharts', nice but black&white ones,
made by architects.... but they could not be compared even with the joyful
colorful flipcharts we brought with us (though not professional-made), they
were not 'seen'.

Also once after some critics about our falling flipcharts... and the next
presentation made in CoralDraw about using Internet in many cases, one
person said - Here, that was an excellent presentation! And my collegue
Marina said: yes, I was watching you - you was sleeping in the dark....

The resume - the self made drawings are more 'human', they untie hands of
participants, they bring them closer to their feelings, even irritating them
when falling....

best wishes

elena