Pondering Open Space and Spiral Dynamics

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 28 18:13:27 PDT 2002

Hello all
Yes, I too am a Wilber fan, quite familiar with Spiral dynamics and have
done a fair bit of OST facilitation.
OST works in all 4 quadrants in that it gives a minimal structure for group
process (lower right) that affects how groups interact and inter-think
(lower left - the "group mind"), individual behaviours (upper right) and
individual consciousness (upper left). Whew!  While different individuals in
a group will be at different places, there will be a center of gravity to
whatever group is using OST.  OST is attractive to greens, because of it's
high group inter-activity and "level playing field" message, but I have also
used it with groups who are largely orange or even blue. My sense, is that
OST can serve as a gateway for movement "up the Spiral" by stimulating
growth and expansion in both individual and collective consciousness. So for
example, a government hide-bound beauracracy may become more entrepeneurial
and accountable - orange. Or a $- result only  orange corporation may soften
and expand the group of stakeholders with whom they feel accountable
(green).

And this, I feel, is because (and I'm only building off Harrison here) is
because OST operates at that self-organizing, creative edge of chaos place,
where transformational growth can occur. This growth can occur when a
critical mass of individuals shift there own awareness, and this is often
made easier in a group context. And the centre of consciousness moves to the
only place it can - next level on the spiral.
.......anyway, to my mind, they all "grok" beautifully together!
Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
416/486-6660
meg.salter at sympatico.ca