lessons from extreme programming

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Fri Aug 9 15:02:35 PDT 2002

Hey there, Michael.  Good to hear so much news from you lately.  I had
fun visiting some of the wiki sites you suggested this morning.  Very
interesting..... computer programming applied to a certain philosophy of
life that appeals to me.  I even saw a comment about how in wiki world
there is no authority, and THAT is the magic of it all.  And there was
something else about how wiki is like some of Gandhi's thinking and
Jainism.  Very interesting.

And now I'm thinking about this latest comment from you:

> shifting back to open space, i am thinking that software
> groups like this, and their clients are ripe for open
> space.  i think their stories and our stories travel nicely
> together, reinforcing and supporting each other.  i also
> envision a day when we are growing facilitator groups within
> organizatinos, so that managers can facilitate each other's
> groups, in a sort of partnered opening/managing function.
> paired leadership (facilitator and sponsor) a parallel to
> paired programming.  and when organizations learn to open
> space for themselves, they will really start to wake up...
> and we can all go back inside <grin>.

This sounds a lot like what some of us have been talking about in our
discussion about how to use OST in the classroom.  One of the ideas was
to think of the class as the sponsor and having the facilitator role
float so that whoever wants to participate, can.  Anyone (including the
"teacher") can be a participant, and anyone can be facilitator, and the
roles shift to meet the needs of the group.  Since there will be
multiple meetings throughout the semester, no one is stuck in any
particular role for the entire time.  How about a classroom as an open
space organization with everyone competent and comfortable in every
role?  (Hmmmmm..... maybe that's one way to get closer to Chris' dream
of the open space school.)

Julie