2 days of OS with 7 weeks in between

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Fri Aug 9 09:26:33 PDT 2002

hi thomas,

what if you did the first day and did the proceedings in a wiki...
then ended with non-convergence to reopen the space for 'what needs doing
between now and then'
posted those new topics/sessions to a wiki and scheduled meetings/phonecalls in
between,
documented the results on the wiki
posted new conversation times as needed on the wiki
and then held the second event meeting

the wiki stuff runs on one cgi script and one text file.  set up requires
editing about six words in those two files then uploading to a website
somewhere.  if you password protect the place where you put it, then it's
private for this group.  and you can bring it right into the room with only a
single phoneline to connect the computers.

more about wiki - http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl
download the files you need to setup -
http://www.usemod.com/wikicode/usemod092.tar.gz

Thomas Herrmann wrote:

> Dear OS-friends
> I have the first day of an OST conference coming up in a couple of weeks. I
> facilitated a pre-meeting a few days ago. In this meeting it became obvious
> that the need of the organization was to have a really broad theme focusing
> on the future of the organization instead of the more narrow one that we had
> been discussing earlier. The 19th of August is already booked as it is part
> of a longer conference with some more traditional ingredients. I will
> propose a change but I doubt that will be the case.
>
> In the pre-meeting we booked another day of OST 7 weeks later. The 12
> employees (who are part of a larger organization) are spread all over Sweden
> and that day "was in the plan". Well, I will charge that date as well.
>
> Anyway, I would be happy if you have a similair experience or any ideas to
> share?
> I am thinking of how to bind these two days together. We did plan a follow
> up meeting the week after the first OST. I have suggested a virtual forum,
> which I think would be great, but the boss has not answered yet.
>
> We have also discussed to ask the convenors to continue to work on their
> issues, supporting each other, and to produce a more thourough report for
> next time. I have thought of opening space again next time, have a couple
> more sessions and then convergence and actionplanning.
>
> Another idea just came into my mind. Maybe we could have another half day or
> two of OST inbetween, to keep the energy moving (especially if we cannot put
> up a virtual forum). That could be a chance to continue the work or raise
> new subjects. I know they have monthly meetings. I hesitate to do
> convergence after the first 6 hour day (incl lunch) since I think they need
> more time to raise all issues of importance.
>
> As you can see I learn while writing. Thanks already!
> Any more thoughts appreciated!
> Best regards
> Thomas Herrmann         Phone +46 (0)709-98 97 81
> Open Space Consulting   Fax   +46 (0)300-713 89
> Pensévägen 4
> 434 46 Kungsbacka, Sweden
> Email: thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
> www.openspaceconsulting.com