hybrid ost at agile software conference (long, fun, wiki)

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Wed Aug 7 17:51:32 PDT 2002

hi nino, lisa and the rest.  The agile/xp openspace wiki can be
found at:

http://monet.objectmentor.com/cgi-bin/openspace/wiki.py?FrontPage

think you'll see that this is a pretty good online rendering of the
raw scribbing that shows up on the wall and flipcharts in open
space

there is also a 'comment on open space' section of the wiki.

some other observations from closing day, today...

- morning news didn't happen at 8:30, four sessions just started at
8:45
-one of those went 2.5 hours.
-second morning session was for closing.  perhaps 30 people cycled
through a circle of 20 people.
-then back into lunch and closing keynoters.
-closing was combination of (1) noticing that os track was ending,
(2) reflecting on what had happened (3) noticing if any major
projects wanted to be announced for anyone to stay and work on in
the afternoon, after farewell keynotes and (4) questions about how
agile and os fit together.
-most of conversation was on how to grow ost more into the
conference, and still publish papers and do tutorials, also how to
go home and open space...
-results of early morning planning meeting determined that next
year will have more open space.  many want all open space, but
there is the issue of publishing papers, etc.  whatever they do
will be great, i'm sure.

some other things that we thought might be next step into
openspace...

-at next conference, leave opening after lunch on day 2 (after
official conference opening on morn of day 2), but do the opening
with whole conference, not as a track.  then close the whole
confereance in open space circle, as well.  merge the formal agenda
into the ost wall.
-if open and close were done for all, then could keep morn/eve
news.  if now, then would nix morning news on last day.
-could select/publish papers but make 'posting a topic in open
space' part of contract with selected authors
-could announce authors as invited speakers.
-could make a few rooms techno equipped for overheads, etc and give
invited speakers first shot at those spaces
-could hookup one of the computers to a projector so that
participants could browse the proceedings on the wiki on one wall,
a fully browsable, bigger than life news wall (wiki's are hard to
print because they're non-linear.  also, since they require
absolutely no cutting and pasting to aggregate and are super simple
to browse, they can be continually edited and linked as the
conference continues.  amazing stuff, really.

-wiki is live and public on web as noted above.  in less time than
it took me to drive 35 miles home in traffic.  the expectation is
that a number of people will be posting invitations to regional
gatherings to be experiments in open space, and that the
proceedings will continue to be posted back to the wiki, for
further consideration.

-was noted that many topics posted in open space were from
'testers' a separate group/function that nobody realized was
interested in the work of the conference.  the result is that the
work of the developers and testers has beginning to grow together
in new ways.

-last comment, that a poll done by show of hands revealed that
perhaps two thirds or more of participants still around for the
farewell keynote had participated in at least part of the open
space.  a few more voted 'no but wish i did.'  some other folks had
left already, of course, but my guess is that they were big
openspacers who used their two feet to duck out on the last
speeches.

Nino Novak wrote:

> Thank you Michael -
>
> for this fascinating report of an even more fascinating story...
>
> Is your wiki already opened for everybody?
>
> Regards
> Nino

> Visit:

Michael Herman