Now that we know the chairs will fit, is the space suitable for the people

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon Aug 5 22:32:11 PDT 2002

Rob--

I'm a firm believer in the idea that a commitment is a commitment, written or
not.  In my practice, I've seen a much stronger focus on the spoken word by
people who work out of doors, more focus on the written word from those of us
do "desk work."

A recent OS included many facilities and parks maintenance people, some of
whom did not read or write well.  We provided convenors with a simple report
sheet to be filled in my hand, and had flip charts for any group who chose to
use one.  I was surprised, in a one-day event, by how enthusiastically the
convenors were making sure that their work was recorded.  And so much work
was done, that it was hard to recall it all afterwards, so I am very glad
that it was captured on paper.  I don't think writing changes the level of
commitment, but is good acknowledgement that the group work is valued.

This meeting was held in a big banquet room that opened onto lawns and a
lake, and groups moved quite easily out into the morning sun, reconvening
under a tree or back in the airconditioned room as the outside temperature
rose.  Every inside meeting space had huge windows overlooking the lake--I
think that added a lot to the spirit of the meeting.  There was a sense of
natural flow that is often missing for me in hotel corridors.

Thanks for expanding this conversation!

Joelle