Opening Space: The Practice of Peace - September 24-26, San Francisco

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 18 08:50:52 PDT 2002

[Dear colleagues - thank you for passing this along through your
networks and communities - and perhaps you'll be able to join us.  And
much love and thanks to our dear Tova. Lisa Heft]

- - -

Do you wish to join a diverse community of individuals gathered for

several days of deep communication and new learning -

to share wisdom, experience, insight and action based on

passion and personal responsibility regarding   p e a c e ?

Join us in an Open Space event where we will explore personal and global
transformation and leadership.

Join an energizing gathering of focused and creative people for 3 days
of ever-deepening conversations about the practice of peace - within
yourself, your organization, your community, the land and the world.
Talk deeply with others, reflect on what has happened since 9/11,
generate action, form community.  This gathering will be facilitated
using the method of Open Space Technology (OST) which has been used
around the world to bring diverse (and sometimes conflicted) individuals
together for shared purpose and insight.

Opening Space...The Practice of Peace

with your self, your organization, your local and global community, and
the land

September 24-26, 2002
Tuesday through Thursday, 8:30am to 5:00pm
San Francisco, California, USA

Facilitated by Lisa Heft

"If I am 'the right person', what may my task be?  What is my passion
and what is my responsibility, moment by moment?  This is essential for
peace making in a war zone for two reasons: one is that you need
yourself totally present to survive and the other is that because of the
chaotic forces if you are fully present you have endless opportunities
to try and make a difference."

"That is a place to find some hope, when people, together, touch on
something that is truthful, authentic; uniquely created and attended,
being born.  The feeling is revitalizing and reminding people of their
wholeness and 'partness' no matter what the issues are .

-- Tova Averbuch, facilitator of Open Space peace gatherings in Israel
"I use Open Space in organizational settings (a battle for life in many
industries in Israel - as in many places in the world), between
organizations (a battle zone of "world fixers" who are not paid well,
who give their souls out and end up fighting one another instead of
fighting for the cause), in municipalities (a communication canal to
enable a dialogue between the anonymous individual of a big city and the
crowd, that listens), and also in Israel Jewish-Arab and
Israeli-Palestinian work.  I see any Open Space as peace making: between
person to person, authority and ordinary people, personal yearning and
passion and their manifestation.  I would love you to find a way to
convey that too by presenting me as I am: Opening Space in various 'war
zones' in Israel."

Event Description

We will take a three-day journey together to share thoughts and ideas,
frustrations and insights.

This community gathering for deeper understanding is not designed for
teaching the method of Open Space Technology - for that you may wish to
take one of our Introduction to Open Space workshops.  In the Opening
Space...The Practice of Peace workshop we will not be discussing how to
use the method of Open Space; rather we will be convening in Open Space
to discuss issues of personal and global intention and response.

We hope that as a group we will create challenge, deep engagement and
full-on new thinking.  Let's push our learning to the edges, feel the
challenge and go beyond.  These times demand not just awareness, but
transformation.  Let's see where we can take it.

People of all ages and abilities are welcome.  Thank you for sharing
this announcement with others in your communities and networks.

You may wish to learn about this process being used all over the world
for communication and the weaving together of community during complex
times. We recommend that you read Harrison Owen's "Open Space
Technology: A User's Guide" to learn about the process in advance - and
feel free to discuss it in advance with the facilitator.  We will also
be offering a learning workshop on the method: An Introduction to Open
Space, on December 11-13 this year in San Francisco.

For More Information contact facilitator Lisa Heft at
<mailto:lisaheft at pacbell.net> lisaheft at pacbell.net